According to a University of Rochester Medical Center study, aging motorcyclists have a higher risk of getting hurt or dying during a traffic crash than their younger counterparts. This is contrary to the belief that the typical motorcycle victims are young, healthy riders.
Among the study’s findings:
• Between 1996 – 2005, the average age range for motorcycle accident victims was ages 34 to 39.
• The proportion of injured motorcyclists in the over 40 age range went up from about 28% to nearly 50%.
• While the 20- 29-year-olds age range was the group that experienced the most rapid decline in the number of motorcycle injuries and deaths, the 50- to 59-year-old age group experienced the fasted increase in rider fatalities and injuries.
• The number of motorcyclists in their 60’s and 70’s who were getting hurt in motorcycle accidents also went up.
• Riders older than 40 had a higher death rate than motorcyclists in the under 40 age group.
• Older riders were more likely than their younger counterparts to end up in ER’s and die from less serious injuries.
• Preexisting conditions and the decrease in ability to endure injuries to the body contributed to longer hospital stays and health complications among older riders.
• Broken legs, broken arms, and other extremity fractures were the most common motorcycle injuries.
• Head injuries and chest injuries made up most of the most serious motorcycle injuries and older riders are more likely to suffer from them than younger diers.
The study can be found in the March issue of the American Surgeon.
Washington DC Motorcycle Accident
Regardless of age, if you or someone you love was injured in a Washington DC motorcycle crash that you believe may have been caused by another negligent party, it is important that you explore your options for filing a Washington DC personal injury lawsuit immediately.
Motorcyclists are entitled to use the road just as much as their vehicle occupant counterparts. Contrary to popular belief, most riders are not careless motorists merely interested in a fast ride. Motorcycle accident injuries, such as spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries, can be severe and costly, which is why you should obtain the maximum Washington DC injury recovery that you are owed.
Aging Motorcyclists Hit the Road, But at Greater Risk of Injury, Death, PR Newswire, April 5, 2010
Related Web Resources:
National Trauma Data Bank, American College of Surgeons