Two kids suffered burn injuries in Washington DC on Monday during a fire accident on a playground at the Columbia Heights Village Apartment Complex. Neighbors blame careless workers for leaving a can of gasoline at the playground.
Police say that a boy was playing with the can of gas when the fire started. A little girl sitting on a bench got burned and was later hospitalized. Neighbors say they called emergency crew members when they heard screaming.
According to The Burn Institute:
• Children younger than 5 are two times as likely as other people to die in a fire accident.
• Children are at highest risk of dying from their burn injuries.
• Playing with fire is the number one cause of death for very young children.
• 18-month old toddlers have been known to start serious fires.
Property owners and managers and those in charge of overseeing job sites, public events, public areas, and other premises frequented by kids, patrons, employees, visitors, and others are supposed to make sure that there are no unsafe conditions on a premise that can lead to serious injuries or deaths.
Common causes of fire injures to children younger than 15:
• Curling irons
• Matches and lighters
• Hot liquids and hot foods
• Household appliances
• Defective electrical products
Kids Playing with Fire Leave Two Hurt in D.C., MyFoxDC.com, September 2, 2008
Burn Injury Fact Sheet, CT Safe Kids
Related Web Resources:
Fire Deaths and Injuries: Fact Sheet, CDC
Contact Lebowitz & Mzhen to schedule your free consultation with an experienced Washington DC burn injury attorney or premises liability lawyer.